Welcome to the SCCHGS Website
General Meetings and Free Seminars
Our evening general meetings are on the Third Tuesday of the month in the Margie Edinger Room at the Santa Clara City Public Library located at 2635 Homestead Road, Santa Clara, 95951. For directions please see the map.
Please help brighten up our general meetings by providing your suggestions for Speakers or Topics that you would like to see in the future. Please provide a brief description of the topic, the Speaker’s name, their e-mail address, mailing address or Telephone number (if known). Send suggestions to Program Chair.
See also the Library Genealogy Events calendar, listing additional classes presented by the Library, meetings of Special Interest Groups (SIG). See the SCCHGS Calendar for when genealogy volunteers will be available to help you with your research.
Class: “DNA Basics for Genealogists - How Three Testing Companies Can Change Your Family Tree” Monday, June 18, 2018, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm, Redwood Room. The presentation is free and open to all. Registration is required.
CLASS IS FULL. REGISTRATION IS NOW FOR WAIT-LIST.
General Meeting: “Using Third-Party Tools to Analyze DNA Results”, presented by Christine Bell Green Tuesday, June 19, 6:45 - 8:30 pm in the Margie Edinger Room of the Central Park Library. The presentation is free and open to all. Light refreshments will be served 6:30 pm.
DNA testing companies have tools (chromosome browsers or family trees) to help you compare your DNA to that of other testers, and some of them are good. However you can’t compare your DNA to testers at other companies, and it can be expensive to test at multiple companies. That is where third-party tools come into play. This talk will explore the use of GEDmatch and other third-party tools to analyze DNA and compare and contrast these new tools with what’s available at Ancestry, FamilyTreeDNA, 23andMe and My Heritage.
Christine Bell Green has a professional learning certificate in Genealogical Studies from the University of Toronto. She is a ProGen graduate and an alumnus of the Salt Lake Institute, the Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research, and the Genealogy Research Institute of Pittsburgh, where she studied advanced genealogy and advanced DNA analysis. She is a professional researcher who teaches genealogy in Palo Alto and at the Mountain View/Los Altos Adult Schools. Flyer.
General Meeting: “The Missing Man: Solving a Mystery with Genealogy Research”, presented by Sharon Hoyt Tuesday, July 17, 6:45 - 8:30 pm in the Margie Edinger Room of the Central Park Library. The presentation is free and open to all. Light refreshments will be served 6:30 pm.
One day in the early 1900s, August Lawrence left his Minnesota home for a job and never returned. However, more than a century later, genealogy research solved the mystery of his disappearance. Sharon will cover strategies that can help us break down even long-standing brick walls.
Sharon Hoyt is a genealogy researcher and consultant and a native Californian whose family has lived in the state since the 1880s, and she enjoys helping California residents trace their ancestors’ paths to the Golden State. Her areas of interest also include New England, New York, and the Midwest, and she holds a Master’s degree in Library and Information Science. Flyer.
No General Meeting
Help SCCHGS Earn Money Through YOUR Shopping
- Earn for our Society as you shop on Amazon. At no cost to you, Amazon will contribute 0.5% of most purchases.
Designate your charity, one time:
- Go to smile.amazon.com/ch/94-6129935.
- Sign into your Amazon account
- Confirm that 'Santa Clara County Historical & Genealogical Society' is your charity choice.
- Go to smile.amazon.com, and sign in.
- Under your account, select 'Your AmazonSmile'
- Search for 'Santa Clara County Historical & Genealogical Society' as your charity choice.
Each time you shop:
- Go to smile.amazon.com (instead of www.amazon.com).
- Bookmark it on all your computers !
- Earn for our Society as you shop at Luckys and Food Maxx
- Sign up at escrip.com/shares
- Provide your name, email and phone number
- Select Santa Clara County Hist-Genea Society
- Or send this info to earn @ scchgs . com
- At the store checkout
- Before payment – Provide your registered phone number
- If you are a Save Smart or Lucky You rewards shopper, when you register your phone number (or 10-digit loyalty ID you use at checkout), or rewards card number (the number on the back of your Save Smart or Lucky You rewards card), we will automatically link your Rewards and eScript accounts. That way you won’t have to choose between shopping for rewards or contributing to eScrip. By linking these accounts, you can earn rewards for both!
Where are we located?
The society is located at the City of Santa Clara Central Park Library in the Heritage Pavilion.
We have a large collection of genealogy resources along with a great historical collection available for the public’s use.
There are volunteer consultants available to introduce patrons to the collection and assist them with their research problems. Check this calendar for consultant availability.