Welcome to the SCCHGS Website
General Meetings and Free Seminars
Our evening general meetings are on the Third Tuesday of the month in the Margie Edinger Room at the Santa Clara City Public Library located at 2635 Homestead Road, Santa Clara, 95951. For directions please see the map.
Please help brighten up our general meetings by providing your suggestions for Speakers or Topics that you would like to see in the future. Please provide a brief description of the topic, the Speaker’s name, their e-mail address, mailing address or Telephone number (if known). Send suggestions to Program Chair.
See also the Library Genealogy Events calendar, listing additional classes presented by the Library, meetings of Special Interest Groups (SIG), and times when genealogy volunteers will be available to help you with your research.
General Meeting: “Writing History With Genealogy”, presented by Dave Gutierrez Tuesday, February 20, 6:45 - 8:30 pm in the Margie Edinger Room of the Central Park Library. The presentation is free and open to all. Light refreshments will be served 6:30 pm.
Dave Gutierrez researched and wrote Patriots From The Barrio, the true story of his relative’s WWII all Mexican-American US Army Combat Unit. After years of genealogy research Dave was able to connect with over fifty different families of the men that served with his relative and tell their individual family stories in the book. Dave will share his genealogical research plus how to obtain military records and how to identify genealogy clues in military records. Dave Gutierrez is a Speaker, Writer and Author. His articles have been published in newspapers, newsletters, and online media.
Mr. Gutierrez served in United States Marine Corp infantry units from 1984 to 1988. Mr. Gutierrez and his family reside in San José, California. Flyer.
Class: “Census 101: An Introduction to Searching the US Federal and State Censuses” Friday, February 23, 2018, 1:00-4:00 pm, Margie Edinger Room. The class is free and open to all. Registration is required.
Census records are among the most rich and rewarding family history records available. Depending on which census your ancestor is in, you can learn where he or she lived at a particular place or time, learn his or her place of birth, what he or she did for a living, how many times they were married and other bits of valuable information. Each census is a little different than the previous census. In this class you will learn what information is available on each census record. Using this knowledge you can find census information to advance your search for your ancestors. Taught by Dave McCready. Flyer.
CLASS IS FULL. REGISTRATION IS NOW FOR WAIT-LIST.
Class: “Getting Organized” Thursday, March 22, 2018, 1:00-4:00 pm, Redwood Room. The presentation is free and open to all. Registration is required.
Learn the basics of starting your genealogy research. What is documentation? This class will explain what a “source” is and how to document it. We will also explore the organization of your genealogy materials. View how seasoned genealogists organize their materials. We will also review some of the different genealogy reports to help you analyze your findings. Looking for a genealogy program for your computer? You will learn what to look for when choosing a computer program.
Help SCCHGS Earn Money Through YOUR Shopping
- Earn for our Society as you shop on Amazon. At no cost to you, Amazon will contribute 0.5% of most purchases.
Designate your charity, one time:
- Go to smile.amazon.com/ch/94-6129935.
- Sign into your Amazon account
- Confirm that 'Santa Clara County Historical & Genealogical Society' is your charity choice.
- Go to smile.amazon.com, and sign in.
- Under your account, select 'Your AmazonSmile'
- Search for 'Santa Clara County Historical & Genealogical Society' as your charity choice.
Each time you shop:
- Go to smile.amazon.com (instead of www.amazon.com).
- Bookmark it on all your computers !
- Earn for our Society as you shop at Luckys and Food Maxx
- Sign up at escrip.com/shares
- Provide your name, email and phone number
- Select Santa Clara County Hist-Genea Society
- Or send this info to earn @ scchgs . com
- At the store checkout
- Before payment – Provide your registered phone number
- If you are a Save Smart or Lucky You rewards shopper, when you register your phone number (or 10-digit loyalty ID you use at checkout), or rewards card number (the number on the back of your Save Smart or Lucky You rewards card), we will automatically link your Rewards and eScript accounts. That way you won’t have to choose between shopping for rewards or contributing to eScrip. By linking these accounts, you can earn rewards for both!
Where are we located?
The society is located at the City of Santa Clara Central Park Library in the Heritage Pavilion.
We have a large collection of genealogy resources along with a great historical collection available for the public’s use.
There are volunteer consultants available to introduce patrons to the collection and assist them with their research problems. Check this calendar for consultant availability.